A simple cake, the plums can be substituted with chopped apples, blueberries or raspberries. Ideal for afternoon tea or for something sweet in the lunchbox.
I demonstrated this recipe on Virgin Media One IrelandAM on Thursday 11th November.
Preheat oven to 175C
Line an 8” square baking pan with parchment paper.
225g Plain Flour
¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Mixed spice
170g Caster Sugar
60ml Vegetable oil
½ teaspoonVanilla extract
3 Plums sliced
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice in a bowl and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the eggs and sugar on a high speed until pale and fluffy.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer and slowly pour in the oil. Add the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on slow add in the flour mix and beat until just combined.
- Carefully fold in the sliced plums by hand and then spread the mixture into the lined tin.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden and a cake tester or skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the cake pan, then turn out and cut into squares or bars.
- Liberally dust the tops with icing sugar.
Delicious served still warm from the oven with a dollop of whipped fresh cream – although this means it is no longer dairy free!