I demonstrated this recipe on Ireland Am on 18th June 2018
Makes 6 large muffins or 12 small.
- 280g Plain Flour
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bread Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 egg
- 250ml buttermilk
- 75ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- Drop of vanilla extract
- Filling of your choice – mixed berries, lemon zest and poppy seeds, raspberries and white chocolate chip, chocolate chip, mashed banana
- optional topping of your choice – porridge oats, nibbed sugar, crumble mix
– In a bowl add all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, bread soda & salt. Mix well together
– In a separate bowl or jug combine all the wet ingredients: 1 egg(beaten), buttermilk, oil & vanilla extract.
– Pour the wet mix into the dry flour ingredients and mix just until the flour is incorporated. Don’t overmix!
– Add in your chosen filling… mixed berries, lemon zest & poppy seed, chocolate chips etc..
– Scoop your muffin mix into muffin cases and scatter your optional topping on top.
– Bake in a preheated oven 175 degrees for 22mins
The base muffin mix (before you add the filling) will keep in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Just stir it again before adding the filling.